The Early Learning Collaborative Act of 2013 allowed for the formation of collaboratives across the state of Mississippi. In 2022, the JPS-Hinds Early Learning Collaborative (ELC) was established and now operates as one of 35 collaboratives across the state funded by the Mississippi Department of Education.
High-quality early childhood education services are provided through this collaborative for over one thousand children in 62 classrooms in 21 sites across the City of Jackson.
Develop rich oral language and a robust vocabulary
Acquire knowledge of skills and concepts taught in each subject area
Develop social skills and emotional control
Transition smoothly through instructional routines of learning through play in centers, small groups, and age-appropriate environments.
The Mississippi Beginnings Curriculum is used by the Pre-Kindergarten Program and offers scholars a strong start. Through a combination of curriculum, coaching, and professional development, we are able to sustain improvements and high-quality teaching. MS Beginnings focuses on child-centric developmental education.
Evidence-based practices are used to ensure the domains of learning: social and emotional development, language and communication, emergent literacy: reading, emergent literacy: writing, mathematics, science, social studies, fine arts, technology, and physical development. MS Beginnings focuses on key learning goals in which scholars are able to express themselves through play. Within each domain, it is designed to ensure all children have the opportunity to work toward attaining these goals and achieving readiness for kindergarten and beyond.
Program Features & Benefits
- English and Spanish versions of all instructions and components, with daily English language development lessons.
- Develops language and early literacy skills in the context of research-based and field-tested content, including math, science, and social studies.
- Excites kids about learning through highly appealing children’s books, dramatic play, creative writing, puzzles, and blocks.
- Provides guidance for teachers with a variety of materials to implement eight thematically organized units.
The following items must be presented at the time of your scheduled appointment/screening:
- A state ID or driver’s License
- A Mississippi Immunization Compliance Form 121
- Student’s Original, Long-form, Certified Birth Certificate (child must be four years old on or before September 1, 2022)
- Two (2) Proofs of Residency within the school zone the child will attend.
- Copy of mortgage document, filed homestead exemption, property deed, or current lease agreement AND
- One (1) current utility bill (Atmos Energy, Jackson Water & Sewer or Entergy) or Voter Registration Card showing residence property address
- Notarized Affidavit of Shared Residency, if applicable
- Notarized Affidavit of Non-Parental, if applicable
- Your child must be four years old before September 1st of the school year.
- Your child must be completely potty-trained.
- Your child must be a Jackson resident.
JPS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SITES
Below is a comprehensive list of all schools partnered with the JPS Hinds Pre-K Collaborative.
John Hopkins Elementary
North Jackson Elementary
Pecan Park Elementary
Van Winkle Elementary (partnership with HCHRA Head Start)
Collaborative Partner Sites